Lomita – Over a Century of The Friendly City
Lomita, L.A. County’s 76th incorporated city, operates as a contract city under a Council-Manager form of government. The “Friendly City” has made great strides since its incorporation on June 30, 1964.
Five Councilmembers elected by the voters determine all city policies, adopt ordinances, control the budget and appoint the City Administrator, City Clerk and City Attorney. Lomita does not levy property or utility user tax on its residents.
The Lomita City Council meets on the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month and all citizens are encouraged to participate. Meetings are held in the Council Chambers at 7 p.m. Lomita City Hall is located at 24300 Narbonne Avenue.
Visit the City of Lomita’s website at www.lomita.com/cityhall for more information.
Lomita, deriving its name from the Spanish meaning “Little Hill,” was founded in 1907.
With the growth of the harbor area and the discovery of oil in 1923, Lomita grew and property values skyrocketed. Lots that had originally been purchased for $300 to $400 sold for as much as $35,000.
When all was said and done, about 500 acres of the original tract of Lomita was given over to the oil industry.
Soon after, Lomita acquired a new reputation as “Celery Capital of the World” and truck farming of vegetables, fruits and eggs became the prevailing occupation of residents during the 1930s.
After World War II, Lomita’s population exploded. As the 1950s progressed, adjacent cities, including the cities of Torrance and Rolling Hills, attempted to annex major portions of the original subdivision, Torrance succeeding.
By the early 1960s, only 1. 87 square miles of the original 7 square mile subdivision remained.
On June 30, 1 964, after a couple of unsuccessful attempts, Lomita was incorporated as a city.
In addition to halting annexation, incorporating was intended to curtail the development and construction of high-rise apartments, a serious concern at the time. In 1990, the City seceded from the County of Los Angeles Water District, assuming complete control and operation of Water District 1 3.
Even though the city’s square mileage is now just a little more than one-third of its original size, Lomita has managed not only to survive, but to mature.
From a simple ranch house and a few out-buildings on the Narbonne property, a sleepy narrow-gauge electric railroad stop on Western Avenue, and a handful of dirt roads named after trees and fruits, Lomita has grown into a small city and, in spite of that growth, managed to maintain its rustic, small-town flavor.
Lomita is part of the L.A. Unified School District with several parochial and privately sponsored schools in the vicinity.
In 1989, 1993 and again in 1999, Lomita tried unsuccessfully to withdraw from the LAUSD, claiming it wanted more control and better management of its schools’ curriculum and spending.
Lomita is also served by Los Angeles Harbor College in Wilmington and El Camino College in Torrance.
Four large hospitals serve the City of Lomita and the surrounding area: Kaiser Permanente Harbor City, Torrance Memorial, Little Company of Mary and County Harbor UCLA Medical Center in Torrance.
With five major parks, Lomita has award-winning recreation program serving both children and adults. Renamed in 2000 to honor one of the long-time park commissioners, Tom Rico Recreation Center is the largest and offers picnic facilities, tennis and basketball courts and baseball fields. Tom Rico Recreation Center is located at 24428 Eshelman Avenue.
For more information, including class schedules and special events, please call
- Metro Park is located at the end of Oak Street, just south of PCH.
- Veterans Park is located at 25700 Walnut Street
- Hathaway Park is located at 256 00 Pennsylvania Avenue.
- Irene Lewis Park is located at the corner of Woodward and 250th Street.
Special Thanks to the City of Lomita